Jul 10, 2017

Chicken Biriyani

Chicken Biriyani
                  

Happy birthday Bellpepperss 🎈🎉🎊!!!! Yes my bellpepperss is 1 year now… Exactly on this day July 10 2016 I hit the publish button on my blog post. Can’t believe it’s a year since I stepped into the world of blogging 😃. It almost seems like yesterday that I was sitting and drafting my very first post Orange Cake.So far the journey was wonderful and amazing 😄. I absolutely wasn’t sure whether anyone would be interested in this, but was pretty sure that there are many like me who is really interested in cooking 😉. When I shared my first post I received so many comments and messages that were truly inspiring and encouraging 👍. Am thankful to all  for your encouragement and support. First and foremost I would like to thank my hubby 😍 who was always encouraging me to write one since I started cooking some real nice recipes, but I was not sure whether I will be able to continue or not ,so was delaying it every now and then 😉. Then my dear friend Annie Joseph John too encouraged me to do the same 😍. When I discussed this with my sisters they too encouraged me to the core 😘. Then without looking back I started one, thus Bellpepperss became a reality 😊.  From "baking"to"beverages", from "biriyanis" to "breakfast" , from "snacks" to "sweets (dessert )" I started posting everything that was tired and tasted in my own kitchen 👌👍. Once again I would like to thank every one of you out there for your continuous support and feedback 👍. Just amazing I couldn’t have hoped for more 😃. With every post I write I do hope to bring you something new and different, though it is not possible always 😀.  I would like to thank my blog bellpepperss too with each passing day I see myself getting evolved as a better photographer and a better chef 😊.


Once again I would like to thank all my blog readers, friends, well wishers for your continuous support, motivation and constructive criticism 😃.

                                                                                   

Today being such a special day 😊, something special should be posted …. Right ….Yes it is celebration time and I am here with a dish that is apt to suit all occasions 😃, it is "Chicken Biriyani"…🍗 who doesn’t love a plate of flavorful Biriyani ? Biriyani doesn’t need an introduction I have posted fish biriyani and egg biriyani. I received many encouraging messages, hope you will do the same with chicken biriyani also. Chicken biriyani is one of the most loved delicacies 😋 not just in India but across the globe. A heartwarming combination of spices and condiments simmering with chicken pieces and rice can never be missed 😋😋. Okay then let’s started…


Preparation time: 15 min – overnight

Cooking time: 30 min

Serves: 4-5


Ingredients

For marination

Cleaned Chicken: ½ kg, 1.1 lb

Turmeric powder: ½ tsp

Kashmiri chili powder: 1 tbsp

Green chili: 1-2 crushed (according to your taste)

Garam masala: 1 tsp

Pepper powder: 1 tsp

Ginger garlic paste: 1 tbsp 

Mint leaves: ¼ cup (chopped)

Cilantro leaves: ¼ cup (chopped)

Yogurt: ½ cup

Oil: 1-2 tbsp

Fried onion: ½ cup

Salt: as needed

For rice

Basmathi rice: 2 cups (washed and drained)

Water: 3 ½ - 4 cups

Ghee/ Butter: as needed

Cardamom pods: 3

Cloves:  5

Cinnamon stick:  2 (1” pieces)

Star anise: 1

Bay leaves: 1

Salt: as needed

For garnishing

Fried onion: ½ cup

Fried cashews and raisins: 1 tbsp each



Method

1.      Take chicken in a  thick bottomed pan add the ingredients listed under ‘for marination’  and thoroughly mix everything together with your hand and keep it aside for at least two hours. Overnight marination is highly recommended.
                                                                          



2.      Cook the marinated chicken in the same pan in medium heat till the chicken is done and the gravy is semi dry. You can add water if the chicken doesn’t leave enough water while getting cooked. Add ½ cup of hot water. There should be some gravy left for layering it with rice.
                                                                                    


3.      Meanwhile take another thick bottomed pan, add a tsp of butter/ ghee and add the whole spices. Sauté them for a minute.

4.      Add  a tbsp of butter, water and salt, when water comes to a boil (check for salt) add the cleaned / drained rice.
                                                                                    
            


5.      Cook it covered till done in medium heat. Take care not to overcook the rice. Set it aside.
                                                                                


6.      Take another pan or use  the same pan after transferring the rice to a different vessel. Smear some butter.
                                                                       


7.      Add a layer of cooked rice then a layer of chicken gravy.
                                                   
                                                                         

8.      Arrange rice and chicken gravy alternating one another. You can also add butter while layering.
                                                                         



9.      Cook it in low medium heat for 5-8 min. Switch off the flame. Let it rest for 3-5 min.
                                                                                    


10.  Finally add the fried onions, fried nuts and chopped cilantro.
                                                                 


11.  Give it a final mix and transfer to a serving platter.
                                                       
     


12.  Serve hot with raita or pickle.
                                                                             


13.  Enjoy.
                                                                              

                                                                                


Notes

1.      Chicken with bones gives additioal flavor, try using it as far as possible.

2.      Don’t cook the chicken directly after taking out from the refrigerator wait till it reaches room temperature.  

3.     Adjust the quantity of yogurt if it is sour.

4.      Adding butter while layering is completely optional.

5 comments:

  1. ������thank you so much dear ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tried your chicken biryani rice recipe today and it was fantastic. Really delicious. Thank you for sharing the recipe plus all the extra tips.

    ReplyDelete